Subscribe to gain premium access!
“On this I take me stand. I can do no other. God help me.” Those words of Martin Luther reflect the unswerving commitment to Scripture that permeated his theology and sparked his Reformation. In this course, learners survey the background and setting of Luther’s thought, as well his teaching on a range of topics that form Christian theology: his understanding of sin and grace, justification and faith, and law and gospel. The course also emphasizes Luther’s view of the workplace as an arena to serve God. The goal of the course is for students to appreciate Luther’s steadfast commitment to the cross of Christ and the authority of Scripture and to apply such commitment to their own lives and ministry.
Legacy CollectionThis course is part of a collection of courses taught by world-class evangelical professors from across the globe on a variety of topics. The lessons are presented on an intermediate to college or seminary level and provide a wealth of information for those who want to dig deeper into their faith. Select courses in the collection are from the Institute of Theological Studies (ITS), which was acquired by Our Daily Bread University.
- Understand the historical background of Luther’s thought in his own career and in the intellectual context of late medieval theology.
- Understand the chief points in Luther’s theology on the critical topics discussed in his era and relevant to twentieth century Christian thought.
- Understand and identify Luther’s law/gospel hermeneutic at work within the entire structure of his exposition of the biblical message.
- Interpret Luther’s sixteenth century concerns within their own historical setting and in their significance for later periods of church history, including the turn of the twenty-first century.
- Appreciate Luther’s combination of faithfulness to the biblical text and his deep concern for the comfort of Christian consciences and the proper exercise of the Christian faith by all believers.
Very insightful and helpful to my understanding of the love of God and walk with Him. I am His . I am nothing without Him and His grace to me.Anyawa, Canada
The course has helped ground my faith in Jesus Christ, the Word of God. I have a clearer understanding and appreciation of my position in God through Christ Jesus, His grace and love.Anyawa, United States (US)