Dr. Heim believes all of the psalms, including Psalm 137, have a genuine place in worship today. Do you agree? Why or why not?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Lynna Hadley
      Participant

Yes, we can learn from all areas of the Bible. We can apply them to all areas of our life.

Jie en
      Participant

Yes, because the needs and emotions of God’s people never change while we remain in the world. We need a way to express our fear and indignation in the face of injustice in fallen creation.

Pamela
      Participant

I agree, because as we read and understand more of God’s word, we will begin to know how and why to have true worship. As we understand better, we will grow closer to being a genuine worshiper because we will begin to realize His grace and mercy that He extends to all believers.

Marci
      Participant

Yes, I do believe that the psalms have a genuine place in worship today. Just as the Lord endures forever, so does His word. Whether 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future, His word will always be. We can count on it and depend on it just as we count on and depend on Him.

Walter
      Participant

I agree because – in verses 1-4 – music was a way of expressing their grief and seeking the help of the Lord “who gives songs in the night” (Job 35:10).

Nikia
      Participant

I Agree during these dark times we are currently living in Psalm 137 is one of the perfect Psalms to PRAY for ourselves and the world.There are so many wars deceitfulness and hate amongst our borother’s and sisiter’s in Christ. We know in the end our MESSIAH will save us from all harm the spiritual enemy is trying to use to destory us.

Penny
      Participant

Yes, all of the psalms have a genuine place in worship today. All of the psalms can contribute to worshipping the Lord and can be used to teach concepts such as forgiveness, faithfulness and the need not to take vengeance on the ones who hurt you, but to leave correction in the hands of God.

Ken
      Participant

I would agree with him but still have a difficult time thinking of war or vengeance Psalms as part of worship.

Aderemi
      Participant

Yes,Ps 137amongst others has a place in our worship and absolute trust in our God as we tell him about our pains and our hurts that he will act on our behalf. “Vengeance is mine” says the Lord.

Jamey
      Participant

I absolutely agree. Each Psalm has a meaning or tells a story, that nearly all of us can associate with our own lives. Worship is about sharing and loving God with others. When we can find common ground with each other, even from history, we share and worship together. We build stronger bonds.

NIBU
      Participant

psalms 137 shows that it is for God to do the retribution.

Jennifer
      Participant

The bible never expires so yes, I believe the Psalms have a genuine place in worship today.

Pamela
      Participant

I do agree that all Scripture is profitable. And I praise God that He has graced us with His Word that can help us through all circumstances, in good times—-to remind us to remembered our God who is the source of all our blessings, and in times of sorrow and trouble, and even persecution and sickness, to remember that God is our Good Shepherd, standing right with us through all our circumstances. Praise God.

Helena
      Participant

All parts of the Bible are God’s Words (God – breathed) and Psalms are as we learned are songs, prayers, praise and worship. I do agree with Dr. Heim…..

Donna
      Participant

We all can all unjustly suffer for the cause of Christ. Our “fleshly selves” want to automatically retaliate and fight back. But our renewed spiritual selves hold us back and remind us that “He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world”. Therefore we have to be patient and prayerfully TRUST our creator that one day all will be made right.

Baboo samuel
      Participant

Yes, it is to show that we can be bring our pain & hurts, our sufferings and our feeling of injustice to God. We can express this disappointment and vengeance to Him without having to act on our own.

Myrna
      Participant

The Psalms are a part of the Bible, and are useful for teaching and helping us learn how to pray. They are God-breathed.

Evon
      Participant

I do also believe that all the Psalms, including Psalm 137 has a genuine place in Worship today. I agree with Dr Helm because it says in the Bible in either 1 or 2 Timothy that “All scripture is useful for training, teaching, …. us in righteousness so that the man of God be fully equipped and lack nothing.” I don’t know the exact scripture or word for word, but I believe you understand my point.
      The Psalms tell us how to worship God, comforts us in time of sorrow, guides us in prayer, and teaches us the character of God himself. The Psalms reveal to us our sin as well as Gods blessings and his forgiveness.

Ahamefule
      Participant

I do agree because scriptures, inclusive of all of the Psalms, are God breathed … and thus have a genuine place in the timeless modern worship of God.

David
      Participant

Oh my goodness! My spouse and I just decided today to share venues with other couples who want to have bible lessons. We discovered that our Pastor had been using church funds for his own benefit for over 20 years. We were basically a slave to his lust for power and money (he would not release any monetary information throughout the years.) We had only been there a short time and wanted an account for which our tithes were used. We were told that it was used to pay basic church services and the rest was none of our business. How humiliated I was to know that I had been supporting someone rather than fully supporting the church. He professed that we needed to give freely and fully as he did not need any of our funds, and now to find out that he was cashing all the checks and using it to fund his own businesses. We even were paying water and electricity for his businesses. No one could answer our queries, and when individual congregation members were asked about church property they professed ignorance as they were all told it was none of their business. The Pastor was truly loved by us and we feel so deceived, hurt, and angry as he told us we were responsible for dividing the church and heresy. Vengeance (embezzlement charges) did not have a place in this scenario, instead I plan to use this Psalm in our first home bible lesson while we wait and pray for God to show us the way. At least the Pastor knows we all now know and perhaps he will come to God with what he has done.

Our Daily Bread
      Keymaster
Viewing 20 reply threads