R. Douglas Geivett asked: “How old is Christianity? That’s an interesting question. Many people would date the origin of Christianity back to the time of Jesus Christ some 2,000 years ago. Is that when Christianity began? Well, how you answer that question depends on what you think Christianity is. As it happens, Christianity is a religious point of view that is continuous with the history of the Jews, extending all the way back to Abraham and even before that when God was working with the people that He created.” Do you agree with him? Why?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tagged: 

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      Stanley
      Participant

Honestly, this concept is new to me. My thoughts of Christianity begins with Jesus’ ministry. It wasn’t until I began my studies with ODB that the idea Christianity going way back to Abraham was introduced. I do believe that Jesus’ coming was foretold by the prophets of the Old Testament.

Erika
      Participant

Absolutely!! Jesus IS God and was with Him in the beginning. He was there with God at Creation! That is when Christianity began!

Barbara
      Participant

I agree with him because Jesus is God, so it just stands to reason that He was there from the very beginning.

Eulalia
      Participant

I agree with writer because Jesus an the Holy Spirit where with God in beginning of creation, let us make man in our image. So when God spoke to Abraham an he believed Christianity was born. Jesus an the Holy Spirit had not been reviled to man kind an Jesus said Himself that he an the Father are one. Holy spirit is a gift not yet given. Christianity means is to be like Christ an if we are to be as the Father (Jn10:34-35)

Rui
      Participant

Yes, I agree. In Genesis God created heaven and the earth, then God said it is good then he created humans. So God exists way back before a human even exists. Christianly is a religious term invented by humans for people who follow Chris. It is funny that we were created by God but not all of us believe in God.

Heather
      Participant

I think if you look at the story from the beginning to the end, you. aren’t looking at Christianity, you are looking at God’s plan for man. Christianity is, in its current use, a word to describe the religion that built up around Christ and the early church. The plan is far more intricate and detailed and comes to fruition in Christ. It is important to see the big picture, not just look at the way it developed after Christ.

Ann
      Participant

Since Jesus is the Word and the Word is God, and since Christianity is the followers of Christ, those who believe in God could always be considered Christians.

Ashleigh
      Participant

I think Christianity has gone back long before Abraham and has been until today. The people of that time needed something to believe in and that thing was Jesus.

Kellie
      Participant

I agree that Christianity began way back to Abraham and before him. It is seen throughout all of Scripture from the Fall of Man that Christ would come. He is pictured in so many ways from Abraham’s promise of a nation, sacrifice of Isaac, all the way to what transpired “silently” in History from Malachi to Matthew in between the testaments. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Old Covenant!

David
      Participant

Yes, I do agree with the above statement. Even though Jesus did not come to earth in the physical sense until His “birth” some 2000 years ago. He “has been” since the beginning of time. I believe that when the Bible speaks of the “Angel of the Lord” in Genesis 16, Exodus 3, Numbers 22, or any number of passages in the Old Testament, is referring to Jesus in His heavenly form. So, Christianity has been around since the beginning of time it just wasn’t called “Christianity” at the time before He came to earth in His earthly form.

Sean
      Participant

I agree with his explanation of this and had never thought of it this way. Jesus came as the ultimate sacrifice for us to restore our relationship with God. The Jews had to make sacrifices constantly to clean themselves of their sin. Yet, they continued to trust God and follow his commands. Ultimately that is what we as Christians do. Follow God and his commands while now having the benefit of receiving the ultimate gift. The need to make sacrifices to make yourself right with God is no longer necessary.

Dana
      Participant

I do agree with him because God created everything. From the first moment that God was at work, He was in control and therefore “Christianity” was at work.

Stephanie
      Participant

Yes, completely agree, the old and new testament are intertwined and cannot be understood fully without each other. The Creator of the old testament is the Savior of the new testament.

Woo seob
      Participant

I agree. Because everything about Jesus is a historical fact.

Jennifer
      Participant

I do agree with his statement. We have been given the entire Bible, both the Old and New Testaments. We can be pointed towards Jesus through the entire Bible. Though we don’t typically think of Christianity as beginning before the work of Christ, it has always been there.

Christine Sweeney
      Participant

Yes. I agree with him. If Christianity didn’t begin until Jesus why would we have the Old Testament? Christianity began at the beginning of Creation.
      John 1-5 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. 4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”

Gwyn
      Participant

This is a really interesting question, and before really thinking about it I would have answered the same way as, “many people”. 🙂
      For a longtime, have thought about Mary Magdalene being the first “Christian”, as she was the first person who saw the risen Christ. My thought process has been that Jesus had to die and be resurrected in order to fulfill the prophecies…this was when Christianity began.
      I’m not sure I have a solid answer or thought on this currently, but I think it warrants additional study on my behalf.

Kenneth
      Participant

I agree, that it was always God‘s plan to create a people in his image that was for his own glory. It was always the plan of God to create man for his own purpose of worship and praise and admiration. Sin was a roadblock and a seed planted to disconnect man from God. Jesus was always part of the plan to reconnect Man back to God.

Tommie
      Participant

Belief in God and putting our trust in Him for salvation is essential for the Christian faith, which was the heritage started by Adam and Eve who sacrificed to God after the Fall.

Wayne
      Participant

If we believe God is all knowing then we must also believe that when Adam was created God knew he would fail and before Man God had his plan of salvation in place so to me Christianity is eternal because Christ is plain and simple

Judith kamugisha
      Participant

Yes I agree with Geivett. The Christianity began from the beginning of the creation, according to the Scripture says in John 1:1 In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. John 1:4 In Him was life and the life was the light the light of men.

Isabelle
      Participant

I do agree with Geivett’s statement about the age of Christianity. Biblical Christianity is typically seen as beginning about 2000 years ago, but we know that God was, is, and is to come. We know that God has been present since before creation and he extends beyond our finite knowledge of time.

Frank
      Participant

God said in Revelation 1:8 “Iam alpha and Omega,who is, and who was and who is to come”,Daniel 7:9,13,22,” Daniel he saw one like a son of man and he came to the ancient of Days and he was presented before him”,Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses “I am who i am,all these attest that God began before the time itself, God is our author of faith even before everything (Ephesians 1:4)

Pum kai
      Participant

God said In Isaiah 44:6, “… I am the first and I am the last.” Psalm 90:2 says, “… from everlasting to everlasting you are God.” Revelation 1:8 says, “I am the Alpha and the Omega.” The book of John also affirms that, “… in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” All these attest that God, the author or Creator of our faith which in our modern day is called Christianity, had existed even before “time” itself began, not just ‘time immemorial’.

James
      Participant

I do agree with Geivett. While the movement of “Christians” may have gotten its name in the years following Jesus’s life, death and resurrection, we believe the timeline of God’s work goes back to His work at creation. As Christians, the foundations of our faith is the work of Christ and we see that He was at work in the beginning of all things. In the first pages of Genesis, we see Him at work in creation and days later we read God tell Adam, Eve and the serpent that Christ would be back to redeem the ideal that was once there.

Cory
      Participant

Yes I do. Our faith began in the old testament back to Adam and Eve. When God first set apart his own people. I believe we are the continuation of Judaism. Like the Apostle John stated Jesus was with God from the very beginning. Jesus was God and everything that was created was created through Jesus. This dates our faith all the way back to the creation. Before the Jewish faith began, before Adam and Eve.

Merle
      Participant

Yes, I do agree with Mr. R. Douglas Grivett because according to The Gospel of John. John was sent by God to introduce Jesus the incarnate of God who came and revealed to the Jews ( his people) as Father, that all things were created through Him, He was in the world and the world was created through Him, in Him was life, He was the true light that shines in the darkness, He became flesh and dwelled among us. John also exclaimed that he (Jesus) is the one of whom I said the one coming after me, ranked ahead of me because he existed before me.

Kevin Menear
      Participant

Yes, I agree. Christianity is just a name that people have given to the Way that was revealed to us through Christ. Yet, this Way existed before even the beginning of time and will continue on beyond the reaches of time and space.

Janelli
      Participant

I agree with him because all of that history leads and ties into Jesus’ coming.

Robert
      Participant

I totally agree with Him. Jesus is the “Ancient of Days” referenced in the book of Daniel. He is the “Lamb of God who was slain before the foundation of the world,” (Revelation 13:8). Dr. Geivett is 100% correct. He is the God of the Old Testament, the New Testament and of today.

Patricia
      Participant

All of the bible points to Jesus, the past events, pointed to his coming as Messiah. When Jesus came as God incarnate, he did not change his nature. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. Jesus is the key that ties the Old Covenant and New Covenant together, because it’s all about Him. So as God’s people, we can’t separate when Christianity began from the Lord Jesus himself.

Cindy
      Participant

Christianity is more than a viewpoint for explaining the past. It is a relationship.

Our Daily Bread
      Keymaster
Viewing 32 reply threads