Subscribe to gain premium access!
“It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible.” So said George Washington, reflecting early America’s regard for divine providence. This course examines the church in America from its continental beginnings to the current day, emphasizing the influences that have forged the contemporary religious scene. Starting with the nature of Christianity in British colonies prior to the Revolution, the course traces the development of Christianity throughout its tumultuous history in America, including the effects of the Civil War and the Great Awakenings. The goal of the course is to see the workings of God throughout American history and to gain insight into the state of Christendom today.
Legacy CollectionThis course is part of a collection of courses taught by world-class evangelical professors from across the globe on a variety of topics. The lessons are presented on an intermediate to college or seminary level and provide a wealth of information for those who want to dig deeper into their faith. Select courses in the collection are from the Institute of Theological Studies (ITS), which was acquired by Our Daily Bread University.
- Trace the history of Christianity in the United States beginning with its roots in British colonialism.
- Think critically about the nature and meaning of the American political experiment.
- Be spiritually enriched through an understanding of his/her evangelical heritage, particularly through the lives and ministries of selected major figures.
- Trace the shift in American religious thought from Calvinistic Puritanism to Evangelicalism to Liberalism.
- Gain insight and understanding into Christendom today.
- See the sovereign, merciful workings of God throughout the history of the nation.
- Understand how and why movements were started and trace their effect on history.
- Explain the causes, developments in, reactions to, and criticism of nondenominational evangelicalism since 1858.
- Gain insight into present day issues in the American church.
- Obtain basic bibliography for further study.
- Yale University, Postdoctoral Fellowship in American Studies
- University of Texas at Dallas, PhD
- Southern Methodist University, MA
- Dallas Theological Seminary, ThM and ThD
- Philadelphia College of the Bible, BS
Outstanding course and instructor.Diana
Loved this course, thank you. Glory to God, Praise Jesus, thank You Holy Spirit.Aaron