Subscribe to gain premium access!
Charismatic theology is more than just a theology of spiritual gifts; worship, bibliology, sanctification, and ecclesiology are also central. Learners will complete a historical and theological study of the origins and developments of Classical Pentecostalism, Charismatic Renewalism, and Restoration Movements, with emphasis given to theological backgrounds and trends. Lectures also analyze other related movements, including the Jesus Only Movement, the Vineyard Movement, and the Toronto Revival Movement. Throughout the course, the pros and cons of the various charismatic movements are presented.
Legacy CollectionThis course is part of a collection of courses taught by world-class evangelical professors from across the globe on a variety of topics. The lessons are presented on an intermediate to college or seminary level and provide a wealth of information for those who want to dig deeper into their faith. Select courses in the collection are from the Institute of Theological Studies (ITS), which was acquired by Our Daily Bread University.
- Trace the history of the Pentecostal Movement from its origin in the American Holiness Movement to its current manifestation, Charismatic Renewalism, and the varieties of Restorationism.
- Move toward a formulation (or clearer understanding) of such concepts as spiritual power and victory for himself/herself. At the minimum, the course purposes to discover the questions that must be asked in order to formulate a cogent statement of the “victorious Christian life.”
- Gain insight into the nature and defense of Pentecostal and Charismatic distinctives, as well as the theological changes that have taken and are taking place in the movement.
- Understand theological differences among Holiness, Pentecostal, Charismatic, and Restorationists groups, as well as theological change within those groups.
- Gain insight into the contribution of Pentecostalism to the religious history of the American people, the nation, and the world.
- Gain insight and understanding into the status and contemporary trends among Charismatics.
- See and understand the issues with which the Pentecostal/Charismatic Renewalists churches are currently grappling.
- Become knowledgeable of the major formulators and the propagators of Pentecostalism, both their biography and theology.
- Have facilities for personal research with a view to using the course in future ministries.
- Obtain an in-depth knowledge of available bibliography including the original sources.
An excellent course!Russell
Very concise, but I would like for you to include more historical references on regards to the spreading of the Pentecostal movement in Latin America, since these places have seen the most growth of Charismatic Movements .Rodolfo, United States (US)
This was great. I thoroughly enjoyed the lecturer. The material was a bit much, namely lots of characters, new doctrine, and “movements,” most of which I was not familiar with. But I am grateful for how the teacher started each lecture with a review. Repetition is key to learning, and especially if much of the material is brand new. Thank you for that. And thank you for this very insightful course.Pamela, United States (US)
Excellent material that gave me a clearer understanding of the charismatic movement.Annabelle, United States (US)