Subscribe to gain premium access!
We may know that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,” (Proverbs 9:10) but what does it mean to be wise, in a biblical sense? What value is there in thinking, behaving, and living wisely? And how do we achieve biblical wisdom? In this study of the book of Proverbs, find answers to these questions and more as you explore the vast treasures of wisdom preserved in this book, written centuries ago.
This course is provided by Denver Seminary Faculty (denverseminary.edu)
- Identify the literary genre, purpose, and authors of the book of Proverbs.
- Define biblical wisdom.
- Describe the organization and characteristics of the book of Proverbs.
- Explore other ancient Near Eastern proverbs, their similarities to biblical proverbs, and what they tell us about the importance of biblical wisdom across generations and cultures.
- Explore the universal applicability of specific types of proverbs.
- Examine several key Hebrew words used throughout the book of Proverbs and discuss what we can learn from them.
- Gain an appreciation for the invaluable wisdom provided to us in the book of Proverbs.
- Hebrew Union College–Jewish Institute of Religion, PhD and MPhil in Hebrew and Cognate Studies (Comparative Semitics)
- Oral Roberts University, MA
- Ottawa University, BA
- Additional studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, the Jerusalem University College, McMaster University, and Western Pentecostal Bible College
It provided valuable insight and caused self-evaluation.Barbara a
The class was easy to follow and to the point.Andrea
Proverbs helps me in everyday life making decisions learning to honor the LORD more and more .Nikia
This lesson was provocative and it caused me to search my heart and lay it out before the Lord. It showed me there are still many things the Lord wants to change about me when it comes to the power of the tongue. This lesson was helpful, enriching, and causes one to grow in areas that were on lock down and stale. Thank you.Della
The Hebrew words that were incorporated at the end was most helpful. A wonderful introductory course to the book of Proverbs.Christina
This course provided an understanding of Proverbs that I did not expect & therefore to me was very valuable in discovering the components of this book. It covered a lot of insight into areas of Proverbs that I may not have easily discovered anywhere else.Don