Subscribe to gain premium access!
How important are songs in the life of Israel and the church? In this course, learners study the Book of Psalms, giving attention to the various forms of the Psalms and their function within the historical experience of Israel. The course begins by focusing on the formulation and interpretation of the Psalms. Students then examine in detail the various types of psalms: lament, royal, pilgrimage, wisdom, messianic, and Psalms of descriptive praise. Dr. Waltke gives sermonic treatment of selected psalms with application for today’s church.
Legacy CollectionThis course is part of a collection of courses taught by world-class evangelical professors from across the globe on a variety of topics. The lessons are presented on an intermediate to college or seminary level and provide a wealth of information for those who want to dig deeper into their faith. Select courses in the collection are from the Institute of Theological Studies (ITS), which was acquired by Our Daily Bread University.
- Understand the historical setting and development of the Psalter.
- Analyze the various forms, contents, and settings of the Psalms.
- Acquire the ability to interpret the figures of speech found within the Psalms as a means of understanding the message of the Psalms.
- Demonstrate the application of the Psalms to the Church today.
- Hebrew Union College in Jerusalem, postdoctoral fellow
- Harvard University, MA and PhD
- Dallas Theological Seminary, ThM and ThD
- Houghton College, AB
An excellent course!Russell