Subscribe to gain premium access!
Students discover the role of wisdom in the book of Proverbs by doing an exegetical study of the book itself in its cultural, historical, and literary settings. The course begins with an analysis of the book’s structure and purpose, focusing on the forms of wisdom literature as seen in the literary structure of Proverbs. Waltke then moves to poetic analysis and finally to the prominent theme of wisdom that permeates the book. Students are encouraged to apply wisdom themes to life.
Legacy CollectionThis course is part of a collection of courses taught by world-class evangelical professors from across the globe on a variety of topics. The lessons are presented on an intermediate to college or seminary level and provide a wealth of information for those who want to dig deeper into their faith. Select courses in the collection are from the Institute of Theological Studies (ITS), which was acquired by Our Daily Bread University.
- Understand the Book of Proverbs in its historical, canonical, and contemporary contexts.
- Recognize the forms of wisdom literature in the Book of Proverbs in light of Ancient Near Eastern collections of sayings and admonitions.
- Define “wisdom” and understand the relationship of God and man to wisdom.
- Understand the interpretive issues in the Book of Proverbs.
- Hebrew Union College in Jerusalem, postdoctoral fellow
- Harvard University, MA and PhD
- Dallas Theological Seminary, ThM and ThD
- Houghton College, AB
It has been such a help for me. I have grown spiritually in understanding wisdom more biblically. I am so thankful for profesor Walter. I am so thankful for the many years he has dedicated to be in the presence of our HEAVENLY FATHER looking closely and deeply in the knowledge and understanding of His Precious Word. 🙏Blanca
An excellent course!Russell
I very much enjoyed the lecture format. I learned quite a bit through this course.Tracie