Subscribe to gain premium access!
Biblical preaching is a divinely ordained way of calling people to repentance and for edifying the people of God. It is communicating God’s Word to His people—standing between the world of Scripture and the world of people and speaking the truth of God. Some wonder whether preaching is an out-of-date form of communication and not of value to current church needs. Dr. Stott gives a clear presentation of the importance of the preaching ministry today. This course will enable pastors, teachers, and church leaders to understand the importance and power of preaching, to develop an awareness of true biblical preaching, and to receive practical guidance for preparing and delivering biblical messages.
Legacy CollectionThis course is part of a collection of courses taught by world-class evangelical professors from across the globe on a variety of topics. The lessons are presented on an intermediate to college or seminary level and provide a wealth of information for those who want to dig deeper into their faith. Select courses in the collection are from the Institute of Theological Studies (ITS), which was acquired by Our Daily Bread University.
- Define the nature and purpose of biblical preaching and describe its key characteristics.
- Defend preaching as a permanently valid and vital means of communicating God’s Word to humanity both for salvation and edification.
- Answer objections to the value of preaching in today’s churches.
- Articulate a high view of the authority of Scripture and how that view should impact preaching.
- View expository preaching as the preferred approach to communicating God’s Word.
- Apply key principles of biblical interpretation.
- Gain experienced insight on sermon preparation and delivery.
- Develop sermons from single verses, paragraphs, chapters, and whole books.
- Appreciate the great heritage of Christian preachers in the Church.
- Value the awesome privilege and responsibility of the call to preach the Gospel.
- Multiple honorary doctorates from British, Canadian, and American universities
- Lambeth, DD
- Ridley Hall Theological College at Cambridge, MA equivalent
- Rugby School and Trinity College Cambridge, double first (BA equivalent) in French and Theology
Dr. Stott was the best lecturer I have heard thus far in my studies. He was very easy to understand and taught authoritatively. His book, Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today, added greatly to this lesson.Kim
Best course on preaching I have ever had.Michael
This has to be one of the best lecture series I have taken. I am not a preacher, but I was curious about the office. I count it an honor to have been exposed to warmth and passion for the Word of God and for souls that Dr. Stott expressed through these lectures. Thank you for making them available.Pamela
I enjoyed the course and learned a lot about Homiletics from a Pastor’s point of view. This is something I will use in the near future.Demeka
This course was delightfully in-depth. It was nourishing to my soul as I learned skills along the way. I am very thankful for this course.William
This has to be the best course I have experienced on this site and I have done over 20 over the past few years. What an amazing speaker, God Bless Him.Arthur
An excellent course!Russell
I felt that the course was far better than I expected it would be. I also enjoyed listening to the classes and was slightly disappointed when they were over.James
I was extremely satisfied with this course.James
Very helpful, easy to understand . I thank you very much .Wilson