Subscribe to gain premium access!
Augustine is one of the most influential theologians in church history. His teachings have shaped the thinking of Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, and Barth. In this course, learners study a comprehensive introduction to Augustine; his life, his works, and his legacy in the medieval church. The course details his youth, conversion, literary works, and his battles against the day’s emerging heresies. Surveying Augustine’s life as a pastor, teacher, and writer, students are encouraged to evaluate his contribution to the development of medieval theology and to apply those contributions to their own lives and ministries.
Legacy CollectionThis course is part of a collection of courses taught by world-class evangelical professors from across the globe on a variety of topics. The lessons are presented on an intermediate to college or seminary level and provide a wealth of information for those who want to dig deeper into their faith. Select courses in the collection are from the Institute of Theological Studies (ITS), which was acquired by Our Daily Bread University.
- Express an appreciation for the value of historical theology as it relates to ministry.
- Understand Augustine’s unique place in the history of the church.
- Analyze the most important writings of Augustine.
- Synthesize the major theological contributions of Augustine.
- Explain the various theological battles Augustine faced in his work.
- Describe Augustine’s life as a pastor, teacher, and writer.
- Apply lessons from Augustine to current ministry contexts.
- Evaluate Augustine’s contribution to the development of Medieval theology.
- Obtain an in-depth knowledge of available bibliography including the original sources.