The world is getting smaller all the time. People are moving into your neighborhood that have different religious beliefs than you do. How can you be respectful and genuine with them if you don’t really know and understand what they believe? The World Religions Basics course will provide you with an overview of the religious faiths and practices of Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, comparing their beliefs about God, creation, sacred scriptures, and salvation.
- Define the term “religion.”
- Explain why a familiarity with the five most influential religions is foundational to begin exploring other belief systems.
- Explain why studying other world religions is important and explore how other religions have affected the student and the student’s community.
- Understand some of the problems connected with the naturalistic view of God and creation.
- Explain how Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity view God and creation.
- Explain the central teachings of the sacred texts for Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.
- Explain the views of salvation for Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.
Wonderful course. I enjoyed all of it and learned a great deal.Sidney, United States (US)
An excellent course!Russell, United States (US)
I am so thankful for this course because it provided me with the basics of understanding other world religions that differ from my belief in Christianity and it helped me to interact with love, without giving in to a conceited attitude about my belief.Michael, United States (US)
It is relatively light covering Buddism.Elaine, Canada
I was highly intrigued because I am rather interested in other religions and how they are similar yet also different from each other.Gabriel, United States (US)
Good information, a little confusing on some parts; less is more.Bershuan, United States (US)
This course expended my understanding of other religious views as well as making me think deeper than I have in the past.
I enjoyed the challenge to my brain. Thank you for making it available.
Very informative. Delivered in a comprehensive manner.Ifeoma, United States (US)
Good overview without being overwhelming.Theresa, United States (US)
Very interesting course. Eye opening. Did not realize how much Islam and Christianity have in common. Did not realize that Buddhism and Hinduism had such commonalities. Thank you.Pamela, United States (US)
Enjoyed the course. I like the way it helped me to learn the key points of each of the most common religions. It also helped me to see clearly the differences between them. It also helped me to solidify my faith by reminding me why I love being a Christian!Sulaica, United States (US)