Subscribe to gain premium access!
Welcome to Introduction to Theology, an online undergraduate-level course designed to introduce you to the basic doctrines of the Christian faith. The teaching method is systematic, but it locates each topic within Scripture and with reference to formative historical concerns. The course assumes that you have some basic familiarity with the Bible; it is intended primarily to serve as a general education survey for undergraduate students.
The course recognizes that the discipline of theology itself is not well understood, and therefore strives not only to teach theological content, but also method. You will be invited into the act of “faith-thinking” (fides quaerens intellectum), aiming to cultivate the lifelong virtue of intellectual obedience to the Word of God.
- Express an understanding of basic concepts, themes, figures, and events that have shaped historic Christian faith.
- Show an awareness of theological sources and subject matter, especially Scripture and the central doctrinal formulations of the Christian tradition.
- Identify and engage some significant patterns of thought within Christian history.
- Express sensitivity to issues that have divided Christians, including the different ways people have thought about such matters and exhibit a preliminary ability to assess strengths and weaknesses of these lines of thinking.
- Practice doing theology and not just talking about it.
- Develop a knack for effective communication; no class in Christian theology should want for opportunity to show grace while interacting with persons whose ideas differ from one’s own.
- Exhibit critical thinking skills, including analysis of and personal interaction with complex arguments.
- Demonstrate writing aptitude both as this pertains to precision in language use and thought and to grammar and syntax; u shld lrn 2 prctice GOOD English in this era of txtng.
- Marquette University, PhD
- Bethel Seminary-San Diego, MDiv
- California State University-San Diego, BA
This has been very helpful. Indeed Christ-centered and biblical. Very essential to grow in the saving knowledge of Christ. Definitely highly recommended! 🙂Danvy
Very thought provoking. This material will have a permanent place in my teaching/preaching.Donald
Good information that answered many questions.Dennis
Theology is awesome. I was able to understand the concepts and appreciated the way Dr. Smith explained why he had to use the language he did. It was required if we are really talking about Christian theology. Very beneficial study!Dorothy
Enjoyed the class!Glenn
I enjoyed it all. Found some weaknesses I need to improve on during my studies.James
Excellent in all areas. Praise the Lord! I am blessed to have encountered [Our Daily Bread University]. You guys are the best, keep up the good work.Daniel