When you complete this lesson, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe the logical and historical origin of the doctrine of the Trinity in confession of the Lordship of Christ Jesus.
- Explain the biblical progression from henotheism to monotheism to trinitarianism.
- Define “Trinity.”
- Define “Being,” as the word relates to the Trinity.
- Define “Persons,” as the word relates to the Trinity.
- Define “Perichoresis.”
- Explain the rule that “every operation of God outside himself is one.”
- Explain the rule that “the only basis for distinction in God is the relations of the Persons.”
- Identify and explain the two predominant Trinitarian heresies of modalism and tritheism.
As you proceed through this lesson have the following question in mind.
What is the relationship between our understanding of Christ and the doctrine of God?