When you complete this lesson, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain why it is important to be conscious of method both from the standpoint of Christian faith and from within characteristic assumptions of the modern university.
- Describe the confessional character of theology.
- Describe the responsive character of theology.
- Describe the dialectical character of theology.
- Describe the exegetical character of theology.
- Articulate an informed position on theological method in an age of increasing secularization.
As you proceed through this lesson have the following question in mind.
State in your own words why it is important to identify one’s method in thinking and speaking of God. Or, respond to this question: “I have a personal relationship with God. Why can’t I just say what I believe in my heart to be true of him?”