When you complete this lesson, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain the logical relationship between the doctrine of sin and the doctrine of salvation.
- Locate the biblical basis for the doctrine of the atonement in the OT sacrificial system.
- Describe “objective” theories of the atonement and explain two examples of these.
- Describe “subjective” theories of the atonement and explain two examples of these.
- Articulate a personal understanding of Christ’s work of atonement that appreciates contributions made by the tradition to this doctrine.
As you proceed through this lesson have the following question in mind.
What is the relevance of the sacrificial system for Christian theology of salvation? Explain how God uses it, ultimately to put an end to it.